Mission of the Northern Illinois Public Health Consortium
The Northern Illinois Public Health Consortium (NIPHC) is a 501 (c)(4) membership organization of the public health departments that serve the Cities of Chicago and Evanston, the Village of Skokie, and the Counties of Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Will, and Winnebago.
The mission of NIPHC is to promote and protect the health of the region through coordinated and collaborative action that raises public awareness, builds constituency, and influences legislation and policy concerning public health issues affecting northern Illinois.
NIPHC is dedicated to strengthening the capacity of health departments in Northern Illinois to respond to threats of the health of the public and promote and assure the health of people and communities. NIPHC does this by:
- Promoting a regional perspective in state and national programs and fiscal policies.
- Supporting the development of effective local public health systems of health departments and community partners.
- Coordinating the efforts and strengthening the capacities of local public health agencies to address major public issues affecting the region.
- Legislative advocacy for sound public health policies and funding decisions.
- Demonstrating the role and value of local public health to the media, elected officials, community partners and the general public.
- Developing technical competence, managerial capacity, and leadership potential of the public health workforce.
- Striving for accountability and performance in the development, financing and delivery of public health services.
- Serving as a point of exchange for information, innovation, and collaboration in promoting health, preventing disease and protecting our communities.
- Regionalized approach to public health
- Sound public health policy
- Awareness of the importance of public health
- Coordination and communication
- Democratic board
- Respect toward local health department
- Collective impact
- Health equity
- Social determinants of health
- Evidence-based decision making
Definition of Public Health
Public Health is the science and art of improving population health through the engagement of individuals, families, private organizations, and public organizations, as participants in civil society. To this end, using health trending data (known as health informatics) to inform choice is essential for community well-being.